Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Muscle Focus

I've been preparing a post in my mind on the details of how I'm currently lifting and how much I'm enjoying it.  My current routine wonderfully combines efficiency, effectiveness, and safety.  So much so, that I don't even head to the playground to do my workouts anymore.  It takes me less time to complete my lifting than it would to actually get to the playground.  If I head there these days, it's to play.

I've been doing it this way for a few months now and kind of just drifted toward it as I refined my technique of muscle focus.  It wasn't some laid out program I found in one place.  It also didn't just pop into my head, I study this stuff a lot and it's been a natural progression as I learn more and more. 

Having said all of this, I just read a post by a personal trainer that spells out what is going on in this type of workout infinitely better than I ever could.  The trainer's name is Drew Baye and his post is here.  I highly recommend you read it, even if you don't plan on changing things (it's required reading for you Mom). 

I personally only do one or two reps with six different exercises, split between two workouts during the week.  As you will see in Drew's article, the number of reps, weight, and time under load are not the goals, they are a means to an end.  As he perfectly sums up:

Don’t think of exercise as using your muscles to do something to the weights – think of it as using the weights to do something to your muscles

In times past I would get a wee bit anxious right before workouts, trying to psyche myself up in order to lift heavy weights or get a certain number of reps.  Now all of that is behind me.  I only have to think about what exercise I'll be doing because I know damn well I'm going to hit muscle failure one way or another, and how many reps or what the weight is becomes irrelevant.  

PS
    Mama Aspen Paleo lifts superslow BBS style once a week at her local fitness center and I couldn't be more proud.  It's not her fave, but for such a small investment of time she knows the benefits are well worth it.  Rock on Mom!

2 comments:

Patrick Timpone said...

I think you're on to something with the new workout plan. I might have to give it a shot. Sounds interesting to say the least.

Aaron said...

Thanks.

This type of workout certainly isn't the only one that will work of course, but it's just been great refining things with the 'safe, effective, and efficient' mindset.