Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Cool Story

Here's a cool, quick, little story.

Mama Aspen Paleo received a phone call out of the blue from a childhood friend a couple of weeks ago who happened to be vacationing near where my mom currently lives.  Mom invited her and her husband over to catch up on old times.  Like really catch up.  50 years of catch up.  You see, they were best friends in 8th grade when both of their fathers were stationed in Indiana and have only exchanged Christmas cards since then.  They hadn't seen each other face to face in half a century.  I can only imagine what was going through each of their minds as their reunion approached.  Cool, no?

They had a great little visit reminiscing and catching up and such, but it turns out they had something recent in common as well ... they're both Paleo!  My mom's friends daughter got her started just like I got my mother to 'buy in' a couple of years ago.  I guess this stuff is a craze.  Mom's friend actually lives in St. John's, Newfoundland and it was interesting to hear of her frustration getting quality dairy at any kind of a reasonable price up there.  Probably living on an island doesn't help matters.  Anyway, she's into 'smuggling' the max amount of Kerrygold bars back into Canada (from the U.S.) when she visits, and I know she's not alone among Canadian Paleo types in this little habit.  When you think about it though, it must be kind of irritating as living in St. John's, they're literally the closest one can get to Ireland on the North American continent.  Ah well, c'est la vie.

 I guess it's not that close


2 comments:

The Primalist said...

Not alone for sure - I do the same, though I typically stick pretty close to the allowed amount. Canada sucks for dairy, especially butter (we're not allowed imported dairy). I shop in the US every chance I get!

Aaron said...

I gather they don't go over the limit either, they just make sure everyone traveling has their 'allotment'. I used the word smuggled as I think it's absurd that butter is a regulated substance.

Of course, then you have stuff like this going on here. Sometimes I think we're going backwards.