Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mainstream

In my recent paleosphere meanderings I've come across some people's thoughts that it's unlikely the paleo/primal template of living and eating is going to become mainstream.  I agree with this.  A big chunk of people that end up here are very unwell to begin with or are at the opposite end of the spectrum and are athletes looking to push performance (let's put aside the whole crossfit - paleo connection for the moment).  You also have a small subset of people, like yours truly, who are information geeks and just totally resonate with this lifestyle.  As for mainstream people though, the ones who barely know the term 'paleo diet', this type of living is just too weird.  To different.  To much of a change, coupled with too many 'rules'.  At some subconscious level people are tired of being told not to eat fat, and cholesterol, and sugar, and salt, and blah blah blah.  They're thinking 'Oh, and now you're telling me not to eat gluten and veggie seed oils eh?  Sure. Okay - whatever'. 

I get that.  It makes sense.  If you don't have the time or inclination to do some information digging and self experimentation for yourself, then it's going to be confusing.  Experts from all areas are giving out conflicting information about diet as well as exercise.

Coconut Water
But let's think about this for a second.  Can  paleo/primal ever be where 'low fat, eat less and exercise more' is in our society today?  I don't think it can.  As evidence I present exhibit A (the pic over there to the right).  This is the side view of an aseptic of coconut water.  Look at the fourth bullet point.  In case you can't read it, it says 'no fat and no cholesterol (means big hearts and small butts)'.  Almost anybody reading that won't blink an eye because it tows the conventional wisdom line.  No fat = no butt.  No cholesterol = clean pipes.  There is literally no end to this type of stuff to be found including fat free labels on jelly beans and heart healthy stickers on cereal boxes.  It's all about selling products.  I should know, I work in a grocery store.  Want some more?  Take a look at the next pic.  Nutrition rich cookies.  Who did know?  Oh bother!  Or how about that calorie free peanut butter spread stuff I already posted about?








The state of  modern grocery stores in our country is nothing short of a disaster.  This includes supposed healthy ones like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Whatever happened to the times of buying your food fresh every day?   I digress.  Where was I?  Right, paleo/primal will never become mainstream.  Why?  Follow the money silly.  We are too far down the rabbit hole that is processed/convenience food.  There is no going back.  At least not for the majority of people.  I can't put it any simpler than that.  The truth hurts.  I hope more people make the majority of their diets whole foods.  And get more fresh air, sunshine, and plenty of sleep.  And reduce their stress and move their bodies.  I do have hope, otherwise I wouldn't bother having this blog.

But I think it is us who will always be the oddballs.  The weird ones who are crazy about what we eat and how we exercise.  And I'm okay with that.  It shouldn't drive us nuts that more people don't get this lifestyle and it's benefits.  We're all on our own journeys.  All we should do is live our lives in the way that makes sense to us.  And right now all that makes sense to me is to get some nutrition rich cookies and wash em down with no fat, no cholesterol coconut water. 

No comments: